[theme-reviewers] Where is the line?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 27 10:18:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>>
>> Plugins are starting to be reviewed more, and things are happening on
>> that front. The fact that you don't see them doesn't mean they're not
>> occurring.
>
> Everything else about your email: golden. This part bothers me.
>
> WordPress is a community-driven project and the .Org is one of its (if
> not the single most) important assets and the continued lack of true
> community involvement in improving it is highly disquieting. There
> SHOULDN'T be ANY source of "received knowledge" in a well-run FLOSS
> project.

Nothing hidden about it. Just nothing coherent or contained in a
process. Jaquith has been running queries against the plugin directory
looking for security issues. Joost has been emailing the security
mailing lists with plugin vulnerabilities being actively searched for
by hackers. Mark has been getting reports of plugins doing bad things
and acting accordingly. We notify plugin authors when these things
come up and have fixed plugins and pulled bad ones before.

There's a lot going on with regard to trying to improve plugins and
the plugins directory, but it's all decentralized and disorganized.
People working on their own or with others in small groups to
accomplish specific goals.