[theme-reviewers] Theme Check - ever changing policies

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Jun 25 17:21:51 UTC 2011

The Theme Review Guidelines, in all honestly, do NOT change very frequently
(I'd link to the revision history, but it appears that the Codex crashed
just now). Almost all changes now only take place with each new
major-version WordPress release, and such changes are summarized on the
make.wordpress.org/themes site.

The uploader script was *always* intended to fail on WARNING/REQUIRED
issues; we merely gave a very long lead-time before throwing the
fail-switch.

It is always a good idea to test any Theme revision against the most current
Theme-Check version before submission. (I got caught on this, too, on a
relatively recent submission. :) ) At the very least, Theme Check will
encapsulate any warning/required issues that may have been overlooked.

We've tried to be sensitive to developers' needs regarding consistent review
Guidelines, which is why we've adopted the major-WordPress-release cycle for
implementing the vast majority of Guidelines revisions, and why Pross and
Otto make every effort to keep Theme Check current. Additionally, most
changes are discussed on this list and on the "make" site before
implementation, so that everyone has ample opportunity to weigh-in regarding
proposed revisions.

We're not perfect, but we're always trying to get better...

Chip