[theme-reviewers] Theme quality review process

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jun 8 19:26:30 UTC 2011

I generally try, at a minimum, to test each Theme Option discretely, to
ensure that the setting can be changed, and that the Theme functionality or
output changes accordingly, with no errors. Theme Reviewers should ensure
due diligence when testing Theme options, but it is not always feasible to
test every option, or every permutation of options, in order to flush out
any potential bugs or issues.

Things can - and do - get missed. The most helpful things to do, when such
things are discovered:

1) File a bug report with the Theme Developer (or start a topic in the
Theme's WPORG support forum)
2) Make a note on the most recent Trac ticket, indicating what was found

Regarding W3C validation: it is a very high-level challenge. I test against
the Readability Test Post, to try to ensure as few WordPress core-produced
issues as possible (no Gallery shortcode, no comments, likely no search
form, etc.). We're looking for major issues, not 100% perfect validation.

Chip