[theme-reviewers] Spammy theme?

Darren Slatten darrenslatten at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 03:48:57 UTC 2011

> *The idea of "adoption" is for the benefit of *end users*, who would have
> a seamless upgrade experience from the old version of the previously
> abandoned Theme, to the updated version post-adoption.
> *

This would still be possible...but with the added benefit of being able to
inform the user that it's not from the original source. Instead of "click
here to upgrade your Theme," it would say "your Theme was retired, but click
here to switch to a newer Theme that is compatible with the one you're
using."

*The Theme upgrade process deals only with Theme name/slug...
> *

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Or I guess I should say: I don't know
how the update notices are pushed out to users from WordPress.org. I'm
assuming that interface can accommodate fork updates without too much
modification. Is that incorrect?

*Properly attributed Themes - both originals and forks - wouldn't need any
> additional header tags in order to indicate the original:fork relationship,
> because that relationship would be indicated clearly by the
> copyright/attribution notice.
> *

Problems:

1. The copyright/attribution notice does not have a standardized format, so
machine-readability would be a challenge.
2. There isn't a 1:1 relationship between authors and Themes. Using
attribution would fail in instances where one author has created 2 or more
Themes.

Regarding the GPL, the license encourages openness and freedom, but it also
requires proper attribution. Thus, even if "same Theme, different author" is
convenient for WordPress.org's upgrade system, the GPL--or copyright law in
general--considers it "different Theme, different author." Consequently, the
pre-adoption source code would still need to be provided as a separate work.

Darren Slatten