[theme-reviewers] Spammy theme?

Darren Slatten darrenslatten at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:08:06 UTC 2011

Theme adoption seems like it could raise issues with the GPL, regarding the
need to clearly distinguish between original code and post-adoption code.
I'm guessing not too many Theme developers would appreciate having their
name/attribution diluted by the adoption process. Perhaps a better solution
would be to allow "forking" a Theme. Details and benefits would be something
like this:

   - Add a new style.css key/value pair to define a "Fork of:
   {$retired_theme_name}" relationship.
   - A retired Theme would keep its own attribution and statistics data.
   - New Theme would be named something different and effectively treated as
   an independent Theme (i.e., a retired Theme could be forked by more than one
   developer).
   - The "Fork of:" data could be used to trigger a separate kind of update
   notice--one that makes the distinction between a simple update and a "Under
   New Management!" update.
   - Retired Themes could still be resumed by original authors, even if the
   Theme has been dormant for awhile (and forked in that time).
   - WordPress.org could provide aggregate statistics on original+fork
   downloads.
   - Themes could be forked whether they're retired or not.
   - Users could get a better understanding of how a certain Theme will
   function (e.g., I'd rather download a Twenty Eleven fork than a Classic
   fork).
   - Users could filter their Theme search by origin.

Just throwing some ideas out here...

Darren Slatten