[theme-reviewers] Spammy theme?

Darren Slatten darrenslatten at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:07:06 UTC 2011

> *I would like to see these themes simply moved, then after another
> arbitrary time limit made available to be adopted by a new author.
> *

Allowing Themes to be adopted sounds like something that could lead to
abuse. Especially if the secondary repository criteria is time-based and not
feature-support-based. I imagine some folks would view this as an
opportunity to:

   1. Adopt an outdated Theme.
   2. Spend an hour updating the code.
   3. Change footer link to http://spammy-domain.net.
   4. Push "updated" version to repo.
   5. Repeat.

The secondary repo idea, in general, sounds like a good solution for
outdated Themes. The idea of removing Themes completely...seems like it
would hinder independent developers from being able to "service" legacy
sites that use the Theme. For example, if someone's site has been
compromised and the attacker embedded code in the Theme, it would be much
easier to find that code if they had a fresh copy to compare it to (using a
differencing app).

I didn't know suspended Themes are still hosted on the svn server, and I'm
not sure how many non-WordPress folks would know to look there.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> Suspended Themes are not available via Extend (
> wordpress.org/extend/themes ) or via the WP-Admin Themes search, but they
> are still available via SVN ( themes.svn.wordpress.org ).
>
> Theme "compatibility", in the sense in which you ask the question, is
> somewhat ambiguous. I'm not certain at what version a Theme would utterly
> fail; then again, I think that question is asking from the wrong
> perspective. The Repository should be offering users Themes that work as
> well as possible, not Themes that merely don't utterly fail.
>
> Chip
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Angelo Bertolli <
> angelo.bertolli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/25/2011 04:15 PM, Claude Needham wrote:
>> >>
>> > If a theme seriously does not work with the current version of
>> > wordpress, it should be retired.
>> > I am assuming that we are trying to encourage people to work with the
>> > latest release that they can.
>> >
>> > I have been in situations where a plugin that I relied upon had not
>> > been updated yet. (A shopping cart).
>> > But if I need an old obsolete theme -- I probably already have it
>> > installed on my site.
>> >
>> > If I am theme hunting, it would be very disappointing to dl a theme
>> > from wporg that is obsolete under the most current core.
>> >

>> Oh sorry, I thought that's what was meant by suspending the
>> themes--they'd no longer be available.  I agree, if it's seriously
>> broken, there should be a way to remove it from the listing.
>>
>> How far back does WP compatibility go?  Will it still run 1.5 themes?

Darren Slatten