[theme-reviewers] Theme Unit Test Data: Gallery Columns

Michael Fields michael at mfields.org
Sat Jul 16 16:56:14 UTC 2011

Just a few thoughts on this topic:

Themes can style all of the gallery columns without modifying the inline css printed by the gallery shortcode.
It can even be done without use of !important if the right specificity is used.
Please see the following patch for twentyeleven.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17564

The related ticket is here:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17564

If you read the ticket, you'll see that I originally supplied a patch that supported 9 columns, but only 4 columns ended up being supported by the theme. Ian Stewart commented that supporting anything over 4 columns "seems a bit much". This is one of those situations where I agree and disagree at the same time. I mean, a 9-column gallery is something that I would never use in practice. Most themes do not even have room to do it well.

Here's an example from my own theme: http://wordpress.mfields.org/test/gallery-shortcode/ the thumbnails are tiny compared to the actual size of the image. The only galleries that display the correct image size are the ones having 1 - 4 columns. In galleries showing 5 - 9 columns, the images are resized in the browser to enable then to fit inside the theme.

One possible solution that I see here is to all theme author the ability to define theme support for "gallery_columns". WordPress can then use this value to modify the number of options displayed in the "Gallery Settings" section of the modal media window.

Best,
-Mike