[theme-reviewers] WPTRT = TSA?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Jan 20 03:17:15 UTC 2011

Originally, Child Themes were intended to be *update-proof*, not "more
update-proof", than (stand-alone) Themes. They were intended as a way for
the *end user* to add Theme modifications that would be retained when the
Parent Theme was updated.

The point of the Repository (at least, now that it is tied into wp-admin via
automatic updates) is to push Theme updates to end users.

Thus, the two purposes - to provide a means of update-proof Theme
modifications and to push Theme updates - conflict, if the code in question
is the same (i.e. a Child Theme).

If end users will be asked to change the Name: tag of the Child Theme, in
order to prevent it from being over-written, then what is the point of
hosting that Child Theme in the Repository in the first place?

(Now, on the other hand, I can see great advantage in encouraging Child -
rather than derivative - Themes for TwentyTen, TwentyEleven, or whatever
current default Theme.)

Chip

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net