[theme-reviewers] more experienced feedback

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Dec 24 00:42:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kirk Wight <kwight at kwight.ca> wrote:
> In particular, the theme uses a bunch of external APIs for the post formats;
> I've searched the mailing list archives, and didn't find anything explicitly
> banning it, but, well, it weirds me out. A look at how the options are
> implemented would be appreciated too.

While there's nothing wrong with the files he's including and the
sources are trustworthy enough, these files should be included in the
theme and not added directly from external sites.

In particular:

wp_register_style('html5reset',
'http://html5resetcss.googlecode.com/files/html5-reset-1.4.css',false,$theme_data['Version']);
wp_enqueue_style( 'html5reset');
wp_register_script('yui-css','http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.8.0r4/build/yuiloader/yuiloader-min.js',false,'2.8.0r4');
wp_enqueue_script('yui-css');
wp_register_script('jquery-template',
'http://nje.github.com/jquery-tmpl/jquery.tmpl.js', array('jquery'),
'0.1');
wp_enqueue_script('jquery-template');

This is bad because it adds a dependency on those sites. This means
the theme won't work for some cases, such as on an internal intranet
where the user viewing the site has no access to the public internet
(this is a *far* more common use case than you might think).

While there's no explicit guidelines prohibiting it that I found in
the theme review list, I kinda sorta think that it should be banned.
There's no good reason a theme can't simply package up these libraries
in the theme, presuming the licenses on the libraries is compatible.
YUI is BSD licensed, JQuery Template is MIT or GPLv2, and the reset
CSS is public domain. All compatible.