[theme-reviewers] Question regarding SEO/SPAM - related domains

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 22 12:57:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Mario Peshev <mario at peshev.net> wrote:
> To be completely honest, I don't mind these URLs at all. For one very
> specific reason - no matter what the author is, what kind of business does
> he/she does - there is a theme submitted to the free repository and users
> can take advantage of that right.
>
> Yet again, there is this point that says "no spam/seo seeded links" - and I
> can't tell what is spam and what - no.
>
> As Chip said - personal blog is fine. But it could be entirely spam seeded
> (affiliate page) too. Or site with 'freeandpremiumwordpressthemesdotorg'
> which is (somehow) clean.
>
> Also, if my company is named after "Free WP Themes" Ltd, so this means that
> everything is all set no matter of the site content. Or not?

I'm perfectly okay with calling spam when I see it, no matter whether
others think it's "legit" or not.

When I domain names that describe the content of the webpage, then I
think it's one of four things:
- Joke
- Gimmick
- Scam
- Spam

My favorite example is freecreditreport.com. All "free credit report"
sites are scams (with the sole exception of annualcreditreport.com,
which is official).

No real company would have a name of "freestuffherenow". It's a scam,
or it's spam, or both. Either way, it's not linkworthy, *regardless of
the content*.

IMO, of course.