[theme-reviewers] Question regarding SEO/SPAM - related domains

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 22 12:30:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Mario Peshev <mario at peshev.net> wrote:
> I've always found too blurry the area of SEO/SPAM related domains and links
> in Author/Theme URI + footer credit links. Currently looking at a theme
> linked to free travel website templates dot com - as author URI + footer
> link. Is it subject to guidelines violation?

If you have to ask the question, then I would say that it is a violation.

The page at the Theme URI should be about the theme, specifically.

The page at the Author URI should be about the author, or their
company, or their consulting service, etc. Leeway is allowed here, but
the point is that the URI must be about that person who created the
theme in some way. A personal blog is fine. A site advertising that
person's business or company is fine. A site that guy built which is
covered with affiliate links is not.

Footer links must be one of the above, and not linked using misleading
terms (seo link-spam).

IMO, a site is spam when looking at it does not benefit the person
doing the looking in any real way.