[theme-reviewers] Refactored themes

Fernando Zorrilla (admin wordpressready) admin at wordpressready.com
Wed Dec 7 19:42:56 UTC 2011

Hello everybody.
My name is Fernando Zorrilla, I hope I will start reviewing themes (my
username:WPReady).
As a part of my 'self-training' review , I inspected a few themes and I saw
something peculiar.

I found a few themes 'based' on Twenty Eleven theme. These themes are just
a 'theme cloning' where the code is refactored and there are almost no
changes inside.
Basically the theme changes the twentyeleven prefix  for other more
appropriate, keeping the functionality (almost) intact.
In fact, a child theme for twentyeleven with a minimal or no additions
could do the exact same purpose, except a child theme will evolve when the
parent theme is updated.
I think those themes are like a 'refactored-snapshot' from the original
theme, if you know what I mean.

This is something odd to me. An author could make thousands of themes
literally using this approach, cloning any  theme.
I would appreciate your concerns about this topic.

http://www.wordpressready.com