No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

new theme and what needs to be attributed and where is unclear. It's
completely OK if external sources are referenced for that purpose.

All the best,

Mario Peshev
freelance software developer/trainer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev
http://peshev.net/blog

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't recall exactly where in the guidelines it ended up but you seem to
> be describing what was being called a derivative work.
>
> The guideline was written to the effect: derivative works are fine provided
> they are functionally different or significantly different in design. A
> minor change such as the background color, for example, is not significant
> enough whereas swapping the columns of a two-column layout should be
> significant enough.
>
> Also to note, once Child-Themes are officially approved for acceptance into
> the repository the derivative works "definition" will likely change as for
> the most part derivative works are achievable as a Child-Theme than as a
> separate theme standing on its own.
>

> Cais.
>

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Mario Peshev <mario at peshev.net> wrote:
>
>> It's a theme by the same author -
>> http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/nostalia26 . Has no sidebar, but it's
>> pretty much the same (index and single post view styling).
>>
>> He has added credits to the readme.txt file, but it's not just copying, it
>> looks like cloning to me.
>>
>> Mario Peshev
>> freelance software developer/trainer
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev
>> http://peshev.net/blog
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Daniel Fenn <danielx386 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While I don't do any theme reviews, but does the GPL allows that sort of
>>> thing? Also what the link to the other theme that you saw that look the
>>> same?

--0015175cb74468e84a04ac3af8b6

 or the guidelines authors - it is just the third time I encounter a simila=
r case and I thought it would be good to define what is a minor and what - =
a major and significant change (so to speak) so that it is clear that chang=
ing a tiny font/background element doesn&#39;t do a theme uniqueness.=A0</d=
iv>
material for a new theme and what needs to be attributed and where is uncle=
ar. It&#39;s completely OK if external sources are referenced for that purp=
ose.<br>
eveloper/trainer<br><a href=3D"http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev">http://w=
/peshev.net/blog</a><br>
aissie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:edward.caissie at gmail.com">ed=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex;">
I don&#39;t recall exactly where in the guidelines it ended up but you seem=
 to be describing what was being called a derivative work.<br><br>The guide=
line was written to the effect: derivative works are fine provided they are=
 functionally different or significantly different in design. A minor chang=
e such as the background color, for example, is not significant enough wher=
eas swapping the columns of a two-column layout should be significant enoug=
h.<br>

into the repository the derivative works &quot;definition&quot; will likely=
 change as for the most part derivative works are achievable as a Child-The=
me than as a separate theme standing on its own.<br>

shev <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mario at peshev.net" target=3D"_b=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">

It&#39;s a theme by the same author -=A0<a href=3D"http://wordpress.org/ext=
end/themes/nostalia26" target=3D"_blank">http://wordpress.org/extend/themes=
/nostalia26</a>=A0. Has no sidebar, but it&#39;s pretty much the same (inde=
x and single post view styling).=A0<br clear=3D"all">

r>freelance software developer/trainer<br><a href=3D"http://www.linkedin.co=
m/in/mpeshev" target=3D"_blank">http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev</a><br>

, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Daniel Fenn <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dani=
elx386 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">danielx386 at gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
ort of thing? Also what the link to the other theme that you saw that look =
 AM, Mario Peshev <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mario at peshev.net"=
o reviewers,=20
issing and this is the &#39;I have downloaded a theme/framework, changed th=
e style.css and images and resubmitted&#39; section.=A0</div>
press.org/ticket/4866" target=3D"_blank">http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/t=
icket/4866</a>=A0- where the theme is based on another existing theme (look=
ing pretty much the same) and also built on a starter theme. The theme has =
no specific functionality - the overall functions.php file is like 15 lines=
 of code. Also, text domain if toolbox everywhere which is undoubtedly inco=
rrect for a unique theme submission but even more wrong where most of the c=
ode is copy-pasted.=A0</div>

sed on another theme and has no uniqueness? This is not a child theme here =
(even though a guide what is allowed for child themes is also a good idea) =
but an existing theme with few tens of lines of code modified and submitted=
 back to the repo.</div>

reelance software developer/trainer<br><a href=3D"http://www.linkedin.com/i=
n/mpeshev" target=3D"_blank">http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev</a><br><a h=
ref=3D"http://peshev.net/blog" target=3D"_blank">http://peshev.net/blog</a>=