[theme-reviewers] Per-Post Layout Options

Michael Fields michael at mfields.org
Mon Aug 8 17:57:35 UTC 2011

> would this cross the content/presentation line?

In my opinion, no.

> Or expressed differently: would it be inappropriate to add Theme-specific custom post meta in this manner, given that such metadata would be mostly useless to the user after switching Themes?

I think that it's totally appropriate. I agree that the metadata will be useless after theme switch. The only concern I see is on a "customer service" level. It may be a good idea to educate users that the custom layouts are not "transferable" to other themes. While most users will know this already, it can't hurt to be explicit.

> I am concerned about the scalability of Themes filling up the post meta table with data that are only useful when using a given Theme.

It might be a good idea to provide users with a way of deleting all data stored by your theme -> sort of like a plugin uninstall routine. This way users can choose to remove all data that pertains only to your theme if they decide to switch forever.