[theme-reviewers] Mandatory fields and elements for posts and comments

Mario Peshev mario at peshev.net
Wed Aug 3 23:55:11 UTC 2011

@Chipp, Clear enough, most parts. Thanks.

1) I've noticed 2 or 3 themes submitted that had no view block for author or
tags/categories in the single.php. Associating this related to the
parent-child relation, I thought it might be possible to skip.

3) Can't think of a specific case, let's say doing own comment_form() or
pagination implementation, or using plain PHP sanitation functions instead
of WP stripping with something like wp_filter_nohtml_kses. But more of a
custom coding.

4) I have thought about more low level debugging as a continuation of the
Theme Check plugin. Last week I had to debug with the WordPress Hook Sniffer
and I thought there is a room for more automated pretesting and someone
could have already done it.

P.S. 5) Some of the guidelines are still draft (
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#Site_Information ), I don't know
whether to point them or ignore them now.

@Justin - it's always nice to have everything cover but when it isn't and I
need to give my personal opinion based on the guidelines I'm not always
confident to approve or reject based on some doubts. Most themes I've run
into have 'muted' some of the requirements or passed through some sort of
workaround when they consider implementing them inappropriate and
unnecessary.

All the best,

Mario Peshev
freelance software developer/trainer