[theme-reviewers] I got a Copyright Infringement Notice over a website that I don't even own :'(

Daniel Fenn danielx386 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 23:30:18 UTC 2011

Hello guys,

I did respond then then saying that I don't own the domain in question and I
asked then to link to where under the domain *.danielx64.com where the
copyright infringement taken place. The *. is there because I got
subdomains, forums.danielx64.com and so on.

Here the emails sents and receiveds:
First email:

> Hi
> Please see the attached DMCA notice and respond accordingly.
> Please send email confirmation that the images have been removed.
> If you would like to discuss using Splash images legally with a
> subscription let mme know.
> Cheers
> Griff
> [see attached file: DMCA Gomez Celebpress.info.docx]
>
> Andrew Griffiths
> Sales Executive
> agriffiths at splashnews.com
> SPLASH NEWS
> 333 W. Washington Boulevard, Suite 508
> Marina Del Rey - CA 90292 - USA
> Tel 1 310 821 2666  ext 117
> Cell 1 323 449 7562
> Fax 1 310 396 4634
>
> Splash News Australia is now open for business!
> - www.splashaustralia.com -
> - ozsales at splashnews.com -

I sent:

> Hello,
>
> I have taken a look at this DMCA note and I am unsure on what URL on my
> website where I am breaking copyright laws. I am requestiong that you give
> me urls where under the domain *.danielx64.com where you beleave the
> infringed material are.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Then I get:

Hi Daniel
> The url is clearly included in the DMCA notice.
> I've included a screenshot of both the top and the bottom of the page.
> As the site doesn't include any contact information yours is the only
> contact that appears on the page.
> I'll be more than happy to refer this to the Splash/Corbis legal dept if
> you'd prefer.
> Let me know
> Cheers
> Griff

This is the latest email that I've sent:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Just so that you know, I am not the owner of http://www.celebspress.info/.
> The reason why you saw my name is because the theme that this website is
> using a wordpress theme that is created by me, hence "Theme created by
> Danielx64".
>
> To save you time, I went ahead and looked up the real owner of the domain
> and you can find it below.
>
> http://whois.domaintools.com/celebspress.info
>
> Again I repeat, I do not own the domain http://www.celebspress.info/.andthat the only reason that my name "Danielx64" is there is because I created
> the theme, and it can be downloaded from
> http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/propress
>

> Regards,
>
> Daniel

This is driving me mad, I don't understand why people don't do whois lookup
and such before taking it out on me.

Now the server that my website is on is at the same place where I work  (I
do work for a webhost) and I got direct connection with the datacentre.
 Should I pass this on to then so if they do get a complaint they already
know what going on?

Regards,
Daniel Fenn