[theme-reviewers] My First Suggest-Approval *sniff*

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Sep 12 23:54:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Chris <chris at thematic4you.com> wrote:

>  We allow themes to stay for a certain time in the repository without any
> change before we put these themes into a ‘sleep’ mode, but we require a new
> or updated theme to use the latest and greatest functions. This isn’t
> consistent.

Actually, no Theme currently in the repository is touched at all. I think
it's wrong, and inconsistent with the stated objectives of the repository
and of the Theme Review process/team. I proposed a process to suspend
obsolete Themes in the repository, but was over-ruled. So, I've dropped the
idea for the time being.

You're right; it makes no sense to leave Themes in the repository that have
not been updated for over two years, yet make currently supported Themes to
meet a considerably higher quality standard. But, we (the Review Team) can't
control either the handling of Themes in the repository, or the decision
regarding such handling. So we focus instead on that which we can control:
the quality standard for Themes being submitted for inclusion.

> I don’t know how many themes don’t use sanitizing functions at all. Why
> shouldn’t we allow a grace period for switching from clean_url() to
> esc_url()? We could use this grace period to educate the developers with
> some help from the core team members.

That's the idea, actually: to allow for a grace period, and to help provide
the necessary educational tools. That's why the Guidelines are so well
cross-referenced. That's why we have a section for Guideline revisions that
will coincide with the release of WP 3.1. That's why Phil is working on a
"knowledge base" Codex reference, to help explain best practices, and how to
implement the guidelines.

But it is still up the the Theme developers to make use of those resources.
And, as I've said previously: it is incumbent upon Theme developers to keep
themselves abreast with WordPress core changes and how those changes impact
their Themes.