[theme-reviewers] My First Suggest-Approval *sniff*

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Sep 12 18:09:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> Do you have *specific* examples of onerous or unnecessary review
> requirements? Quite honestly, the review queue remains steady at 60+ Themes.
> We don't have time for navel-gazing.  But if there are *specific*
> requirements that need to be addressed, we're always up for looking at them.
> (I've actually got a couple to bring up myself, regarding the Theme Unit
> Tests.)

Yes. I've said previously on this list (in an email that received no
replies) that I do not believe that themes should be rejected for notices
and deprecated calls. This is coming from the individual who implemented
deprecated argument handling, spent dozens of hours tracking down version
numbers for deprecated functions, preaches WP_DEBUG [0, 1, 2], and wrote the
logging plugin you use.

[0] http://www.andrewnacin.com/tag/wp_debug/
[1] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/13176
[2] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/13185

That's not to say that theme authors shouldn't be encouraged to rectify
notices on future theme submissions, or that the tolerance level shouldn't
go down on successive submissions by that author. But it all depends on the
notice, and it all depends on the deprecated call. If notices and deprecated
calls cannot be properly evaluated for severity, then they should not be
evaluated at all.