[theme-reviewers] Subject: Re: Themes With Customizable Logos

Ryan Hellyer ryan at pixopoint.com
Fri Sep 3 02:47:19 UTC 2010

>> Ryan, the developer is *GIVING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CUSTOMIZING
>> THE LOGO*. Clearly, and obviously, the developer is *INTENDING *for
>> the log to be customized. What part of that is getting lost in translation?

Nothing is lost in translation. I just don't see why you should be stopping
people from providing helpful instructions in their themes which is effectively
what you are suggesting  here.

>> The theme developer clearly intends for the end user to customize
>> the logo.

You seem to consider the "end-user" to be the person downloading the theme.

I consider the "end-user" to be the person using the theme, who are not
necessarily the same person. I often never want the end-users of
sites I build to be messing around with things like header images. I
assume (not certain) that this is the sort of people the theme developer
had in mind.

I think of there being two types of themes in this situtation. Once which
are intended to be modified by the end-user (my definition) and ones intended
to be modified by the person downloading the theme and maintaining the site.

>> How is it stifling innovation?

You are stopping people from developing themes for a specific purpose.

I'm tired of this argument now too though and I'm not intending to help
with the review process so will just step aside. No point fanning flames
unnecessarily I guess.