[theme-reviewers] Discussion

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Sep 1 15:34:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Once again, I have to bring this up.
>
> If you refuse to have a *discussion* with the theme authors, then you
> are not doing a review. You are merely blocking the theme author from
> joining the community.

Your argumentative tone in your ticket comment did not lend itself rather
well to fostering the discussion you claim to want to have. Perhaps if you'd
been a bit more respectful in the first place, your comment wouldn't have
contributed to shutting down any potential discussion?

> When a theme author presents a valid argument, even when it's in trac,
> then mere rejection of his argument without consideration of any sort
> is *VERY* frustrating. Merely saying that that is the way the rules
> are now is not discussion, it is mere rejection.

"XYZ is unacceptable. I want to scrap the process" is not a valid argument.

> This is how we're treating people trying to join the community?

This is how Matt's Tech Ninja treats project volunteers who are doing their
best to contribute?

> If somebody brings up valid points, then it should be the job of the
> theme reviewer to consider those points and to apply common sense. It
> is their job to bring up these points to this list, or to wherever
> discussion is taking place among the reviewers. Merely rejecting the
> points immediately and closing the ticket is an extremely poor way to
> handle this sort of thing.

If a Theme reviewer brings up valid points, then it should be the job of the
Theme developer to consider those points and to apply common sense. It is
the Theme developers job to explain why and how his Theme employs
functionality that may legitimately be an exception to a given rule.

Merely lashing out at the review, calling it unacceptable, and calling for
the process to be scrapped is a poor way to handle this sort of thing.