[theme-reviewers] Clearing Floats

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Sep 1 13:06:13 UTC 2010

I've noticed on several reviews, the recommendation to add a "clearfix"

I'm wondering: should we *really* be making this recommendation? I've always
considered an empty div whose sole purpose for existence is to ensure that
floats are cleared to be a method of last resort.

I'm just wondering, since we don't make many other markup-practice
recommendations with respect to conformance to the Guidelines. Might it be
better simply to state "ensure that floats introduced by
the_content()/the_excerpt() are cleared"?