[theme-reviewers] Can't upload theme due to Gravatar validationproblem

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Sep 1 06:35:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> You can use comments_template() all you want (in fact it's required if
> you show comments, as there's no other way to do it), but you have to
> have a comments.php file to go along with it. Without that, you're
> relying on the "backwards compatible" support provided by the core,
> which is not guaranteed to be in the next version of WordPress.
>
> Make a comments.php file in your theme.

Otto is correct, and as I linked here (I think) the other day, overly
minimalist themes are deprecated in 3.0. We define those as themes that
include a header, footer, sidebar, comments template, or comments popup
template, without actually including said templates in their theme. Before
3.0 we'd use Kubrick as a de facto parent theme. Now we still do, but it is
unsupported and deprecated.