[theme-reviewers] Theme Options and Functions

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 20 22:48:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Demetris Kikizas <kikizas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with everything Otto says there.
>
> My general objection, in short, is to what I see as a maximalistic
> approach to setting requirements.  You can’t take everything you would
> wish your dream theme to have and turn it into a strict requirement.
>
> Requirements should be there to ensure that themes work with core,
> work with plugins, and do not harm users.  Nothing more.

I'm currently happy with the requirements as they stand in the codex.
They're fairly minimal, and most of them are recommended only. A
number of them require things to be done a certain way only if the
theme actually implements that kind of thing (like nav menus, for
example). Most of that is reasonable.

There's a few things I still don't care for. I'd be okay with allowing
a limited amount of warnings in debug mode, for example. But I
understand the reasoning here even if I don't agree with it. I'd be
okay with deprecated functions on updates to existing themes, but not
to allow them in new themes. That sort of minor thing.

But for the most part, it's improved quite a bit. I still see
something from time to time in a review that makes me do a *headdesk*,
but not as much anymore, and my desk no longer gets dented daily. :)