[theme-reviewers] Themes and Favicons

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:44:42 UTC 2010

I think there are a lot of things to be considered here ...

Although I can understand the point of user identity/branding with the use
of a "favicon" I believe the basis behind this point is still related to the
fact for the most  part a web site's theme *is* also a significant part of
its identity and branding. If someone is using a very popular theme as is
then they also run the risk of being lost in the crowd ... a favicon may not
make any real difference to separating them out.

If a site (read: individual) already has a preferred favicon implemented in
standardized method, such as including a 'favicon.ico' file in the root
directory of their website, I could easily understand their surprise to see
it changed for no apparent reason?! That being the case, the theme author
really should be considerate enough to provide a method for the end-user to
revert back to the "site default" ... perhaps a full section of the theme's
advanced options to provide full control over the favicon settings may be
preferred but to that end the actual methods of deploying a favicon, it's
usage, the various browser issues, etc must also be addressed.

I see the favicon included with a theme as more part of the overall theme
itself and its branding / identity if offers the end-user and for that
reason I see it as something that should be allowed to be continued to be
included with themes. The questions now becomes, in my mind, can the
management of a favicon in themes be a required functionality when
implemented; or, is it better stated as a recommended (read: blatantly
obvious) disclosure to the theme's end-user that the theme will change their
favicon?

Of course, that is also taking into account the end-user actually knows and
understands: what the favicon is; how to implement one on their own; and,
what a favicon can be used for. Which IMHO is neither the theme author's nor
the Theme Review Teams responsibility to explain in any detail.

Cais.