[theme-reviewers] New Ticket Resolution

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Oct 14 14:41:52 UTC 2010

Again, I disagree.

There are some things in the Requirements that are indeed *minor* (with
respect to the end-user), but that are enforcing a higher quality standard,
or are creating a standardization.

Some people put a license declaration statement in style.css. We ask them to
format it in a standard way (using header tags). If this is the only issue,
I'm not going to fail a review just because of it; I'll ask the developer to
format the license statement in the standard manner in the next revision.

(I had just such a ticket recently.)

Your position would seem to advocate that my approach was wrong, and that
one of two things should have happened:

1) I fail the review merely for a non-standard license declaration
2) we no longer enforce standardization of license declaration

Seriously? Approving the ticket, with the caveat that the license
declaration re-formatted to conform to the standard in the next revision
isn't a viable alternative here?

And what of other "minor" issues? I also passed one that had one, single,
very minor CSS validation error. What should I have done? In that
circumstance, I see three alternatives to the approving with the caveat to
fix in the next revision:

1) Fail the review for the minor error
2) Maintain a list of acceptable versus unacceptable errors, and pass/fail
Themes accordingly
3) No longer enforce CSS validation

Which of those alternatives is preferable to approving the Theme asking the
developer merely to fix the CSS validation error in the next Theme revision?

Chip