[theme-reviewers] Theme License Declaration

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Oct 12 14:19:56 UTC 2010

Right now, we require *either* a full-text license.txt file, *or* the header
tags, which does ensure that the Theme is GPL-compat.

The reason that I bring it up is that I'm seeing a few Themes that have
license.txt only. The issue with *only* a license.txt file is that a bundled
file really isn't an explicit license declaration. So, for developers for
whom the differences between GPL versions (primarily, GPLv2 vs GPLv3), it is
important that the Theme explicitly state the license.

(Technically, IIRC, GPL-licensed code should have both a copyright statement
AND a license statement. And derivative works should retain the original
copyright statement along with the copyright statement for the original
content. But, that's delving far too deeply into licensing issues than we
need to deal with, IMHO.)

At the moment, I'm listing as a "strongly suggested" comment to add the
header tags. I like the idea of making header tags *required* as part of the
3.1 version-specific changes.

Chip