[theme-reviewers] Pagelines Themes: Theme URI

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Oct 6 17:46:11 UTC 2010

It's not that the pro versions are not GPL-compatible; rather, it is that
the Theme Repository is being used to push users to the pro versions.

Pagelines (apparently) makes no mention of the availability of free versions
of the Themes - and also pushes the pro versions in at least THREE other
places within the backend of the free versions.

While it is of course acceptable to suggest users of a free version of a
product to check out the pro version - and I fully support such practice -
what the Pagelines Themes are doing clearly exceeds the line of propriety. I
don't think the free Themes are crippleware; but they are certainly
advertise/upsell-ware.

Take a look at one of the Themes yourself, and see if you think I am
exaggerating. I very well could be.

But, at the very least, Theme URI does need to point to an accurate,
appropriate, and relevant site. Linking to the "pro" version of a free Theme
does not meet this criterion.

Chip