[theme-reviewers] Fwd: THEME: Rachel - 0.8 (closed theme: not-accepted)

// ravi ravi at g8o.net
Sun Jun 27 03:39:12 UTC 2010

On Jun 26, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Edward Caissie wrote:
> A quick fix is to put the wp_footer() call inside the "container" div. It's currently outside.
>
> Just a suggestion …

Hello Cais,

Hmm, visually that might not be what I want. As you can probably tell, the problem arises from the fact that I have absolute positioning for the two DIVs (one for the sidebar, which I fondly call the “stripe” ;-)) and one for the post(s) (+/-comments), which I call “container”.

As you suggest, putting the footer inside the container, will position it at the bottom, but include it within the container. Which is really intended (visually) to hold only posts (in the index/home page) or page/post+comments (in single mode).

I could remove the absolute positioning and float both DIVs left, but then I will have to specify a width for both… which is a bit of a philosophical problem for a web old-timer like me ;-), who favours flexible over fixed widths. And if I go the ‘float’ route, even if I do specify a decent width for the container that is not too small or too wide, it might wrap to the bottom depending on user browser sizing. I could play games with wrapping the footer in an absolutely positioned DIV with bottom: 0, but I think I would still need to make a guess on the height of this wrapper/footer, to make room for it below the container.

The 100% fix of course is using TABLEs. But that is so unfashionable these days that I hesitate to go that route.

Thank you again to both of you for all the productive comments. I will either bite the bullet and go with the floated DIVs, or use your suggestion of throwing the footer into the container. I am leaning towards the latter.

	—ravi