[theme-reviewers] Fonts and Licensing

Joseph Scott joseph at automattic.com
Fri Jun 25 23:13:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM,  <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> On that point, we agree! :)  But, best to have asked the question and
> worked out the answer, before we run into someone submitting a theme that
> bundles a font with one of these licenses, eh? At least with a
> prior-discussed list, published on the Codex, we have a pretty good
> starting point.

As long as we don't get bogged down in having to constantly review new licenses.

Probably appropriate for this page - http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review

>> To that end I'd like to
>> keep things fairly simple, i.e. pick one of the accepted licenses to
>> be eligible for consideration for the theme directory.
>>

> That's *exactly* what I'm going for: publish a list of known-acceptable
> licenses, and we'll cover 99% of the use cases. If someone has a question
> about a different license, we can opt to consider it (or not).
>
> And, final question: can we get Matt to weigh in on this? He and I have
> been at odds in the past regarding licensing questions, but I'm *really*
> trying to work within the system here. (Or, if he's delegated it entirely
> to you, I'll just run with it!)

Go ahead and put them up there.  Then I'll point Matt to them and see
if he has any additional input/questions/concerns/etc.  It's a wiki,
we can always edit it later :-)

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org