[theme-reviewers] Theme Development Checklist: Theme Standard?

chip at chipbennett.net chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Jun 25 19:17:39 UTC 2010

As I'm working through the Theme Development Checklist (in the hopes of
cleaning it up and making it more straight-forward for theme developers
and reviewers to follow, especially using the Unit-Test data), I'm struck
by a thought:

Would it be useful/helpful/feasible to develop a "Theme Standard" (perhaps
similar to the "Readme Standard" that exists for plugin developers)? I
could see the following:

1) index.php

A simple "index.php" that incorporates all of the code/structure
requirements from the TDC. (Perhaps other files could be split out - such
as header.php or loop.php - but it might be easiest just to have all code
in a single PHP file.)

This file could then incorporate all of the required hooks, functions,
template tags, etc.

2) functions.php

A sample "functions.php" file that incorporates the necessary functions,
such as widget and menu support.

3) style.css

A style.css that demonstrates the proper header information, as well as
all of the base element/ID/class declarations that need to be styled.

NOTE: I don't think using twentyten would work for this exercise, as it is
far more advanced than what would be most helpful for theme developers and
reviewers.

What are your thoughts?