[theme-reviewers] Goals and Process

Daniel Zilli daniel at jilliz.com
Fri Jun 11 12:26:59 UTC 2010

Hi David,

I agree with your points. I was thinking something like a scorecard too.

What I understood so far, is that we will go to check the theme against the listed points from Theme_Development_Checklist, right? Is this our only job?

I would appreciate a clarify from Joseph too.

Regards,
Daniel

> Hi Joseph (and everyone else),
>
> First, is it Joseph or Joe?
>
> Second, can you clarify what exactly the goals are of a theme review?  What are we trying to accomplish? I realize we are trying to improve the quality and reliability of themes, but how is that going to work?  You've assigned some theme reviews to participants here, but they are reporting "problems" back to us, not to the author to fix.  Is there a process I am not seeing?
>
> It seems to me, and I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, is that all of the information on http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development_Checklist#Theme_Unit_Test could be turned into a scorecard.  It's already broken up into sections.  Give each bullet list a line item with a 1-5 rating or a y/n and set a comment section for free form comments at the end of each sub  section. Then a theme submission could come in, be assigned to 3-5 of us, and we each complete a scorecard.  (heck portions of it could be automated.)  Then send these scorecards back to the theme author where they can digest what they have done right, and what needs improvement.  Without being too rigid, this process is crying for some formality of method.  This also gives the theme author feedback, but not at the whim of one reviewer since some of the points (aesthetics in particular) are very subjective.
>
> Just a thought...

Daniel Zilli _ Production Executive _ Jilliz Ltd.

Phone: +66 (0) 85 334 1224 | Website: http://www.jilliz.com
288/43 BaanMai Puttabucha 36, Bangmod, Thungkru Bangkok 10140.