[theme-reviewers] Simple-Blue-Dashed 1.0

chip at chipbennett.net chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Jun 11 01:25:21 UTC 2010

Awesome! Glad to have someone break the ice, so to speak, with a first
theme review!

> When posting a review, please include the theme reviewer list (looks
> like it got left off the reply) and start a new thread (subject line).

Updated the subject line to reflect theme being reviewed.

>  I'll include my feed back inline:
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Cipr.vb <cypr.vb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, so... Simple-Blue-Dashed 1.0 review
>> As for the design:
>> Colors are awful.. poor choice.. the blue background and white text
>> hurts
>> the eyes..Visual hierarchy is very low and a lot of elements are not
>> aligned
>> correctly, spacing is also off and the font is plain and simple ugly.
>> Text
>> size, text spacing is again very badly proportioned (content text too
>> big).
>> No footer (no designed footer with any text or images, sidebar or custom
>> fields.. it's just the wp_footer() function) exists and the sidebar has
>> very ugly "feature" where the text is at a angle a little..
>

> I thought at first the angle thing was just me when I looked at this,
> glad to know my eyes aren't that crazy yet :-)  Not sure what the idea
> was there.  Same with the footer, not sure why there's not something
> down there.
>

>> Functionality:
>> Functionality seems ok even though it's pretty minimalistic. The widgets
>> have the default layout.
>> I did notice though there is no support for multiple pages...
>
> When I look at the "Layout Test" post with this theme I see links to
> the separate pages.  Was there another part that didn't support
> multiple pages?
>

>> Other than that I think once these problems will be fixed (that I must
>> say,
>> are very hard to fix to make it a good looking theme)
>> I only tested in chrome for mac so far.
>> I also attached a few images to explain the design issues. If Images
>> can't
>> be seen please let me know.
>
> Although the spacing isn't exactly what I'd necessarily pick, I don't
> think it's too crazy.

The layout/spacing issues, at least from the screenshots, appear to be
more a matter of aesthetics/personal taste than usability/design
standards.

Of course, getting feedback based on the aesthetics of other theme
developers is important and useful (and helps one know if one's own design
sense is too far off-base).

But, that said: should our reviews focus more on the public-facing theme
design/rendering, or should we focus more on the code structure, proper
use of WP functions and tags, security, etc.?

(I mainly ask, as I am getting ready to start my own assigned review.)