[theme-reviewers] Theme Test Data WXR and SQL Updates

Lance Willett nanobar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 21:22:10 UTC 2010

> I've been working on the SQL dump for the Theme Test Data, and have
> realized one enormous issue: attachment file linking.
>
> Any suggestions?

Good point -- that is a problem with the SQL dump. :)

I think we shouldn't offer a SQL file -- it seems like overkill for
testing content. The WXR import grabs attachments correctly as long as
you check "download all attachments" when importing -- so that's a big
advantage to that method.

I think we should focus on just the WXR import file for now and make
sure to remind people to check "download all attachments" when
importing it. The user ID issue can easily be fixed once for each test
instance, so in my opinion it's OK to not have the SQL version as long
as we show a way to easily correct it with sample SQL statements.

So, along with the WXR file we could explain how to use the sample SQL
commands to instruct how to easily fix the user ID values. Testers
should be fairly familiar with MySQL and should be able to apply the
patch to their test database with phpMyAdmin or via the command line
-- which is knowledge they'd need to use a SQL dump anyway, right?

The sample commands could go near the top of Theme Unit Test Codex
page, where we have the link to the test data.

> Please take a look here, and make any final comments:
>
> <http://themes.chipbennett.net/wordpress/>

It's looking good! I love how the most important things are in Layout
Test and easy to get to.

Here are my requests:

- On Layout Test page 3 could you add a full-width image (as seen
here: http://2010dev.wordpress.com/image-alignment-and-styles/)?
- On Layout Test pages 2 and 3 could you change the lorem ipsum to
real English words (for example:
http://2010dev.wordpress.com/readability/)? It's much better to see
how English words will break and testers tend to actually read and
scan it if they can understand it.
- Could you update Layout Test page 4 to use the sample HTML from
http://2010dev.wordpress.com/element/ instead? It's an updated
improved version with more elements?

Thanks, Chip.

-Lance