[theme-reviewers] Change 'add_custom_header' from _must_ include to ...

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Jul 17 00:32:32 UTC 2010

My primary issue with making use of nav_menu() mandatory for navigation menus
is that the function is nowhere near feature-parity with wp_list_pages(),
especially with respect to automatic child-page navigation and dynamic update
of menu_order and changing page hierarchy.

For a primarily page-driven website, nav_menu() is still currently a *major*
step backward from wp_list_pages().

However, I do want to ensure that I'm supporting current functionality as
fully as possible. So, I wrapped my nav_menu() call in a has_nav_menu()
conditional, with an else that has my original wp_list_pages() call. That way,
the user can use the default, very powerful wp_list_pages() call, or else can
build his own menu using nav_menu() if he so chooses.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to anyone looking for a gracefully
degrading (upgrading?) method of incorporating nav_menu().

--
Chip Bennett
chip at chipbennett.net
www.chipbennett.net