[theme-reviewers] An inquiry on sponsored themes

George Haddix georgehaddix at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 23:46:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm a team member on the new company Visual Denim, and one of the services
we're looking to offer is a sponsorship service for themes, where theme
authors are "hooked up" with potential sponsors. Sponsors can place a small
link in the footer of the theme and in return, the theme author is rewarded
with a payment.

What makes our service different from others is that we vet our potential
sponsors very thoroughly. We also limit the amount of sponsorship to one
link, which is then managed through our Visual Denim servers and constantly
checked for abuse. We try to be very civilized.

We're curious about whether such a plan would allow those themes to be
featured in the WordPress directory. Again, the themes are still
GPL-licensed and users will still be able to remove that code snippet at
their free will if they so choose. This is really just a way for theme
authors to make a bit of money - in essence, replacing the theme author's
link with a sponsored link to a company.

Please get back to me if possible. Thank you.

With all due respect,

George Haddix
WP Community Outreach Director

VISUAL DENIM