[theme-reviewers] theme-reviewers Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jul 7 11:47:58 UTC 2010

Hmm, I wasn't envisioning child themes being developed for "old" parent themes
- but that's a good point. What's to stop someone from making a proper Kubrick
child theme? *grin*

But, perhaps we can state that, if a child theme is submitted, then both the
child and parent must have a "recent" pass through the approval process (where
"recent" is defined as "since the last release of a major WordPress version"),
or the child theme must use an official theme (e.g. TwentyTen) as its parent.

As for a parent theme being removed from the repository: I suppose it would
depend on the reason the theme is removed. What are the possible reasons?
Developer requests removal? Theme is removed for inappropriate content? Theme
removed due to obsolescence?

I can only see one of those being a concern with respect to a parent theme:
developer requests removal. (Since all themes must pass the review process in
order to be updated, inappropriate content for future versions of a given
theme would never make it into the repository, thus protecting existing child
themes; likewise, with the criteria above, an obsolete theme would never be
eligible to be a parent theme.)

So, I suppose that we could just not allow a parent theme to be removed upon
request, unless all children are also removed?

--
Chip Bennett
chip at chipbennett.net
www.chipbennett.net