[theme-reviewers] TDC: Clarification of Checklist Items

Lance Willett lance at automattic.com
Thu Jul 1 21:36:22 UTC 2010

Hi theme reviewers. :)

> 1) Navigation: Is style layout stable with all categories showing?
>
> What does this mean? Categories displayed as a navigation menu, categories
> listed in a sidebar list, something else?

I think we can remove that item. It doesn't make sense in that context.

> 3) Widgets: Does the theme require custom widgets?
> 4) Widgets: Are standard widgets setup? Should they be?
> 5) Widgets: Do any standard widgets need to be overridden?

I've edited the entire Widgets section to reflect Ian's clarification and to remove confusion.

> What are we testing: duplication of widget functionality, correct filtering of
> default widgets, or something else?

You're testing display (visual appearance) as well as code quality: formatting, escaping, HTML validation. Duplication of functionality isn't ideal, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it's buggy. As Joseph said, unless a theme author has a really good reason to override a default WordPress widget, they shouldn't.

In brief: all widgets, both default core WordPress widgets and custom widgets added by the theme should be tested in all widgetized areas.

> Possibly/probably more later.

Keep sending more feedback or edit the Codex page yourself if you see something that could be improved.

Let's make this checklist be the best it can be.

-Lance Willett