[theme-reviewers] Priority for themes supporting 3.0 features?

Bruce Wampler brucewampler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:56:29 UTC 2010

  In repose to Chris Olbekson's post about giving priority to WP 3 themes, I
really think you all should take this into consideration.

The WP 3 team spent many months promoting the features of WP 3, talked
a lot about Twenty Ten and how good it would be for building new themes,
both as a foundation and as a parent for child themes. Now WP 3 has been
out several weeks, yet no new WP 3 themes have been released.

building a
major theme that is in effect a child theme of Twenty Ten (although not
strictly since it is not possible to actually submit a true child theme to
the theme library at the moment).

I've been promoting this theme on forums, etc, and have gotten an extremely
positive response. I think people want to see some WP 3 specific themes
asap, and you should consider moving some of them up in priority.

One of the follow ups to Chris's original post suggested possible
suggestions
for WP 3 specific themes. I would, of course, nominate my own theme, partly
because I spent so much time developing it, but also partly because is
not just
simply another pretty theme, but includes with it 15 predefined themes that
all look very different from each other, plus the ability to customize
colors,
sidebars, and about any other aspect of Twenty Ten you can imagine.

The theme, Twenty Ten Weaver,  is in the ticket queue (features in that
submitted version are already out of date), and with the latest features on
my website: http://wpweaver.info/themes/twenty-ten-weaver/

I believe I've worked with WP long enough and with different themes long
enough
to be able to say that this is not just another theme, and it would
serve as a
very good example of a WP 3 theme, plus just how Twenty Ten can be
modified to a quite different look.

I hope I'm not violating too much protocol here, but I really believe
that after
all the buildup for WP3 and Twenty Ten, it should be a priority to get a
good,
new (not just a revision of an old theme), and robust theme available. I
think
a quick release of a new WP 3 theme should be an important part of the
overall WP 3 release, and have actually been very surprised that there
has been
no major effort to do this, or to officially support true child themes
after all
the hype.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce Wampler

Bruce Wampler, Ph.D.

Software developer
Creator of first spelling checker for a PC
Creator of Grammatik(tm), first true grammar checker
e-mail: bw at brucewampler.com
blog: brucewampler.wordpress.com