[theme-reviewers] Theme Frameworks and the directory

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 01:53:19 UTC 2010

I know that this is going off-topic, but here goes.

I just finished rewriting my whole set of options pages using the Settings
API. While I agree that the API is not that difficult to understand, I
believe there are several limitations to it if you want a set of options
pages that goes beyond the vanilla tabular display (like getting a set of
JQuery tabs in place). I eventually got it working, but only I know how many
hoops I had to jump through to replicate the full spectrum of functionality
I had earlier. I have to admit, though, that the pages became a lot more
spiffy after the rewrite, because I had to rethink a lot of the design for
this.

I am going to do a tutorial on this shortly. Hopefully that will help folks.

Sayontan.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> I have to disagree.
>
> *I* just successfully figured out the Settings API. If *I* can do that,
> then *anyone* who even *thinks* himself a WordPress/PHP developer can do so,
> too.
>
> Seriously. The Settings API is straightforward and powerful, and the
> learning curve is *not* very high.
>
> Chip
>

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The Settings API does exactly that, but I admit that it may be overly
>> > complicated for some people.
>> >

>> Note I said "easy" and "options /page/". The Settings API is extremely
>> complex for non-coders and a simple build_option_page($options_array)
>> (pluggable, of course) would go a long way towards alleviating a lot
>> of duplicated effort.
>>

>> --
>> -Doug
>> @zamoose
>> http://literalbarrage.org/blog/

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.