[theme-reviewers] Questions about submitting a theme (answering localization theme name slug question)

Simon Prosser pross at pross.org.uk
Wed Dec 29 17:41:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 10:30 -0700, michael at mfields.org wrote:
> Thanks, but is sounds like "theme-slug" is hinting at something bigger
> here as the sentence I quoted mentions "and as a prefix for all custom
> Theme functions and options". It seems like a "theme slug" should be
> used
> here,
>
> load_theme_textdomain( 'theme_slug' );
>
> as well as here:
>
> __( 'Hello WordPress'. 'theme_slug' );
>
> and here
>
> function theme_slug() {
>    print 'Hello WordPress';
> }
>
> as well as here:
>
> $hello = get_option( 'theme_slug_hello_wordpress' );
>
> I just think that the guidelines could be a bit more specific. How
> should
> a theme author decide which slug to use? Should the theme slug contain
> dashes or underscores? It should probably only contain characters
> allowed
> in the naming of functions if it is meant to be used as a prefix IMHO.
> On
> another note, should the theme slug be required at the begining of
> actions
> and filters defined by the theme?

Hi Mike, you are over complicating it ;)

The theme slug is a simplified version of your theme name:
rainless day => rainless-day or just rainless. see?

Consider the function:

function do_css() {

echo 'my custom css here';

}

How many themes or plugins would use that do you wonder?

function rainless_do_css() { etc } now its unique to the theme.