[theme-reviewers] Theme Errors

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Dec 13 20:04:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Furcifer <furcifer at furcifer.net> wrote:
> Wow this theme is throwing out 16 errors and 5 warnings for W3C Validation

As a former giant proponent of Validation, I've since changed my tune.
Validation is not useless, but it's getting there. The problem with
validation is that it only checks for things that it checks for.
Anything else it doesn't know, it doesn't know.

This may sound stupid or obvious, but the fact is that the web is
evolving at a rate faster than the validation systems can handle. It's
becoming increasingly impossible to code a "valid" page without giving
up a huge and obvious amount of functionality.

And what with the death of XHTML and the move to HTML 5, validation is
increasingly useless.

So my advice is to take validation with a grain of salt. Anything it
reports back should be viewed with a skeptical eye and a knowledge of
modern web-design. It's no longer possible to say "validation has
errors, fix them" because some things that validation complains about
are not fixable without loss of functionality.