[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Feedback at WPTavern Forum

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Aug 26 11:38:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:
>
>> I see no problem with a theme being approved with notices/deprecated
>> calls, if that's the only thing wrong with it.
>>

> An addendum. There are a few deprecated functionality issues that should be
> weighted more heavily. Specifically, the use of user levels instead of
> capabilities (since 2.0). In general, a function that was deprecated
> somewhere around 2.5 or earlier is probably a good time to evaluate what
> that function does and whether it is important that the theme does not use
> it.

Which is easier to manage, both for Theme developers and for Theme testers?

1) A list of specific, deprecated functions that are acceptable vs.
unacceptable
2) A rule that states that no deprecated functions may be used

We're trying to make this process *easier* for all involved, not *harder*.
Trying to maintain, from one WordPress version release to another, which
deprecated functions are still acceptable and which ones are not, adds no
benefit to the process or parties involved - at least that I can discern.

What are the compelling reasons to allow certain deprecated functions to
remain?