[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Feedback at WPTavern Forum

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Aug 26 00:54:39 UTC 2010

I think that it's good to have a recommended set of development
practices, and that's it's very good to teach people how to debug
their code and how to avoid issues using tools and methods like these.

I'm not so sure that it's good to immediately reject an author because
he did not follow these practices, especially when there's a lack of
followup on most of the trac tickets I've looked at. What I'm seeing
is a lot of cases where the theme needed work, but which probably
never got any of that work nor was the author invited into a wider
discussion on the topic.

I think we all can agree that the review process needs some
improvement. Unlike many people, I don't think the major issue here is
the speed of the review, but the involvement between reviewer and
author, which seems somewhat overly difficult with the current system.

It really is all about education, and I think that could be done in a
much better way. Hopefully we can find ways to improve this process.
The job of the theme reviewer shouldn't just be to act as a
gatekeeper, but to act as a guide.

-Otto