[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Feedback at WPTavern Forum

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Aug 25 23:09:46 UTC 2010

Yes, I'm aware. I've been talking to matt off and on about this today.

I have to say that I simply don't quite agree with him fully there.
The update system strikes me as too critical for the future of WP
theme development. Putting themes inside a walled garden where only
"the best of the best" can get in does nothing but leave a very large
portion of the theme developer community out in the cold.

My themes would never adhere to those guidelines, because several of
them I fundamentally disagree with, and I would not be willing to
compromise my work to fit into those slots. I'd simply take it off to
my own site instead and release and support it there. I think a lot of
theme developers would feel the same way.

Themes are already fragmented across the whole of the internet. If we
want people to join our community, we have to be willing to accept the
fact that not everybody is going to agree to the same set of rigid
standards and be willing to relax them a bit.

Innovation simply does not happen when you force everybody into a
predetermined mold.

-Otto