[theme-reviewers] Child themes

Joseph Scott joseph at automattic.com
Wed Aug 25 19:06:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> Could somebody explain to me the specific problems with allowing child
> themes? What is currently broken about the process or tools or
> whatever that is blocking this from happening?

There's also a general WP problem with child themes in the WPORG repo.
 Theme authors recommend that users modify themes via the creation of
a child theme, which make sense, keeps the changes in one place and
hopefully upgrades go smoother.  However, if the theme is already a
child theme, now we are talking about recommending grand child themes,
which I don't believe work with WP yet.  So a user is left modifying
the original child theme they installed and likely loosing those
modifications each time they upgrade.  They will quickly learn to stop
upgrading, which is not something we want.

So there are issues that are WPORG repo/process related and other
issues that are core WP specific.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org