[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Feedback at WPTavern Forum

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Aug 25 16:52:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>
> wrote:
> > Semantics. We're not "rejecting" a Theme (or its developer); we're
> > suggesting that a Theme *as submitted* not be approved for inclusion in
> the
> > repository.
>
> In other words, "go away, we don't want you to be a part of our community".

If you're saying that's what the Theme developer is *inferring*, then fair
enough: let's fix it so that they get the proper inference. Because that's
certainly not what a "not-accepted" Theme review is *implying*.

> Not allowing somebody into wordpress.org is rejection in every sense
> of the term. It's a rejection of their theme, a rejection of their
> code, and a rejection of that person.
>
> > We have a very limited implementation of Trac to work with.
>
> Just tell me what you need the tools to do in order to make this work,
> and we'll try to work together towards making the tools do what they
> need to do. I'm a programmer, I can do that sort of thing.

Probably summarized elsewhere and throughout, but I'm sure we can come up
with a full list, if need be:

1) a way to keep a Theme associated with a given ticket, all the way through
final approval
2) a way for Theme developers to update and resubmit directly to their SVN
directory, rather than continually through the uploader, for any given
revision/Trac ticket.
3) more appropriate resolution options, to allow the back-and-forth to take
place within one single ticket.

> > You'll have to ask Cais for exact details, but what you're asking for, I
> > believe, would require a LOT of manual intervention in order to make it
> > work.
>
> Then let's do that intervention. This process simply does not work as
> it stands, and if we need to change it, then that's fine. But before
> we change it, let's decide on the right way, then change it to do it
> that way.

That manual intervention would probably be asking way too much (Cais?). So,
let's focus on improving the process.

> > If you can have some influence in improving our ability to take advantage
> of
> > Trac, then I think every one of us would be supportive of and grateful
> for
> > that improvement.
> > For example:
> > 1) Find a way to link new revisions to the already open Ticket for a
> given
> > Theme
> > 2) Add new options for ticket resolution, such as "needs further
> revision"
> > or whatever
> > Every one of us, I believe, would LOVE such improvements.
>
> Done. I'll put those on the list.
>
> > We have to balance. I like to give very thorough reviews. But, if a Theme
> > has been submitted 2,3,4 or more times and *still* fails the review, then
> > IMO it is clear that the Theme developer isn't making the effort to
> ensure
> > that the Theme meets the Guidelines. We don't want to incentivize such
> > behavior.
>
> Also understand that it might also be an indication that the theme
> author is not understanding the purpose or reason for some of the
> feedback he's being given. If we are going to be looking at themes for
> some set of predefined things to be there, then we should have a well
> written and highly verbose explanation of why we think it should be
> there that should be given to the author directly, every single time.
>
> More than a sentence. Somebody lacking "body_class" should get three
> or four paragraphs on why it's a good idea to use it.

I disagree. Link to the Codex references, and improve the Codex entries if
need be.

I suppose we can draft boilerplate text for each function/tag/hook, if need
be, to put in a Trac ticket comment. If that is the best use of my time, for
the better of the Theme developer community, then I'd be happy to work on
that.

> In my experience, most people *can't* educate themselves from mere
> documentation. You do have to hold their hand through it. Once they
> get over that initial learning curve problem, *then* you can let them
> go on their own. But you never get anybody to improve until you guide
> them *really* well through those first steps.

If the Codex isn't written well enough to be a useful educational tool, then
we need to look at improving the Codex. But reinventing that wheel with each
and every Theme review would not be useful.

> > But, again: Trac
> > is a mostly foreign concept to a lot of Theme developers. Not only are we
> > having to educate them regarding new review Guidelines, but we're also
> > having to educate on how to make use of the Trac system, and the tickets
> > generated for their Theme submissions.
>
> Okay. Then let's dump trac.
>
> Or let's put a new face on trac to make it easier.
>
> Or *something*. I don't claim to know what would work, and I don't
> claim to know all the answers. I just know that it doesn't work now,
> and I'm willing to help in changing to make it better. Because it
> *has* to get better, somehow.

So let's make it better! Tell us what our options are, to improve the system
with which we are working. Trac is pretty powerful. Help us make better use
of it.

> > As for helping Theme developers understand why certain criteria are
> > required: we've been working very hard on improving the Theme Review
> Codex
> > page, to make it more clear, understandable, and concise. We've added
> Codex
> > cross-references for darn-near everything. It is not too much to expect
> > Theme developers to keep abreast of the information available in the
> Codex,
> > especially regarding standard WordPress features, functions, tags, and
> > hooks. We're doing everything we can to point them in the right
> direction.
>
> I do appreciate and understand this, and don't want anybody to take it
> as criticism of them. I'm being critical of the process here, not the
> people.
>
> > Have you actually "experienced" it? Have you reviewed a Theme? Have you
> > submitted a Theme for review?
>
> Yes. You reviewed one of them. You may not have known it was me, as it
> wasn't under my name. :)

And if you have any feedback or constructive criticism of my review, I'd
love to hear it - on the mail list, or to me personally: I have no
preference. I'm sure my own reviews can be improved, and others may benefit
from that feedback also. So please: give me your honest opinion.

> > Agreed, regarding eventual approval. If we can make that process easier
> for
> > both the Theme developers and the review team, then by all means, let's
> do
> > it.
> > But just because the *process* has issues, doesn't mean that the
> Guidelines
> > aren't sound.
>
> I think that some of the guidelines are a problem in that they are
> being used as cause for rejection when they should not be, however I
> also have an issue with the main idea of "rejection" itself. You may
> not think of it as actual literal rejection, but it very much seems
> that way to the outsider.

So let's drop the use of the term "reject" with respect to reviews of
submitted Themes. Help us implement a system in which our only option is
"suggest approval" or 'suggest not-approval" (reject). If we're giving the
impression that we're "rejecting" community contributions, then we need to
fix that impression.