[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Codex Page

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:26:03 UTC 2010

I'd like to quote Lance Willett here (from Jul 15):

I think the best course of action is to strongly suggest supporting
> all customization features, with one custom menu being required (main
> navigation).
>
> So something like this:
>
> Themes must support the the following customization feature:
>
> Navigation Menu - wp_nav_menu()
> * At least one custom menu should be supported, generally the
> top-level navigation.
>
> Themes are strongly suggested to support the following customization
> features:
>
> Custom Header - add_custom_image_header
> Custom Background - add_custom_background
> Visual Editor CSS - add_editor_style
>
> 3.0 changes like comment_form() are required since it isn't an
> optional customization, it's a core part of how themes work.

Of course the above was refering to a discussion on add_custom_image_header
support to themes but the basic premise applies.

post_thumbnails is a feature added to WordPress, but I believe it should
only be a _must_ include _if_ the theme uses post thumbnails, much like
support for wp_nav_menus is required in place of the various wp_list_
functions if a horizontal navigation menu is being used.

If a theme does not use post thumbnails originally then it should be
optional for the theme author to add at their discretion not mandated by a
Mallory-Everest idea. Dictating what features must be included in a theme
does not lend itself to creativity, and I am certain the idea is not to
stamp out the creative possibilities of new themes in the repository but
quite the opposite.

Cais