[theme-reviewers] The Next Step?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Aug 14 20:11:34 UTC 2010

So, now that we have established a good set of review criteria for submitted
Themes, and have corralled the submission queue (thanks, Philip!), are any in
the Theme Review team interested in taking another step - one toward cleaning
up the existing Theme repository?

I have noticed that several Theme developers have expressed frustration that
an updated revision to an already approved Theme is getting rejected due to
failure to meet the revised review standard. Such frustration is justified, of
course, but it is a necessary inconvenience as we move toward the goal of
raising the standard of quality for repository-hosted Themes.

To that end, I would like to pursue the idea of cleaning up the repository.

I'm thinking something along these lines:

1) Any Theme not updated within the previous X WordPress release cycles is
automatically suspended.

(I think 2 release cycles is reasonable. WordPress 3.0 was released in June
2010. WordPress 2.8 was released in June 2009. The release history shows that
releases average about one every 5-6 months. If a Theme isn't updated in 10
months to a year, it is more likely to have obsolete/deprecated functionality
and less likely not to support current WordPress functionality.)

Note: if implemented, this change would suspend almost *half* (38/82 pages) of
the Themes in the repository.

Note 2: if the cutoff were 1 release cycle instead of two, almost *3/4* (59/82
pages) of Themes in the repository would be suspended.

2) The next step, of course, would be to begin auditing all Themes that fall
within the release-cycle cutoff, and either suspending, or requesting the
Theme developer to update the Theme.

3) After a release cycle (or two), tighten the cutoff period, such that Theme
developers have one release cycle (approximately 6 months) to update their
Themes.

Anyone else think any of this is a good idea? Way off base? Good idea, but bad
implementation?

What are your thoughts?

--
Chip Bennett