[wp-hackers] nofollow

Christoph Rummel bronski at bronski.net
Sat Jan 22 00:18:43 GMT 2005

On 22.01.2005, at 00:46, Joseph Scott wrote:
> 	And what people are asking for is a way to do that
> that doesn't involve the owners of blogs having to write
> their own code (or remove some) or install additional
> software (plugins) just to disable a "feature".
>
> 	I'm not asking for WordPress to not support nofollow,
> I just want to be able to easily turn it off in the admin
> options.  I like choice, and I'd prefer to be able to make
> this one on my own without WordPress telling me how
> it must be done.
>
> 	If I have to I'll look at a plugin, or simply rip the code
> out when I update WordPress, but I refuse to allow my
> blog software to require nofollow on all links in comments.
> That smacks a little too much of a Microsoft technique to
> dealing with things.

Ouch. That's not fair... ;-)

Spam is spam. With email it's the same - you don't want to
have any spam in your inbox, not a single one. So you
spamfilters to get rid of spam before it hits you. And for
commentspam we have several solutions that do the same -
getting rid of spam befor any search engine can rank it.

See, if there is no spam in weblogs we do not need "nofollow".

Of course there are non maintained weblogs which do not
get weeded out, but they most likely won't get an update that
includes a nofollow-feature either.

Even if everybody/every blog would use "nofollow", comment
spam still does not get better, just like email spam. It needs to
be deleted, the earlier the better. And if there is no spam, we
need no solution that lets google rank down blogs and punishes
real commentors.

Chris

--
Christoph Rummel