[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:09:36 GMT 2005

I think that the idea of eliminating 'nightly' builds would be great.
If someone goes through the trouble to check it out of Subversion,
then they probably have at least the slightest clue what they're doing
and won't pull up silly support threads on the forums. Weekly builds
could be for general public testing but still with the firm warning
that it may be unstable.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:19:28 -0800, Michael D. Adams <mikea at turbonet.com> wrote:
> As long as we're talking about betas/nightlies and forums in the same
> thread, it'd be nice if the posts in the Beta Discussion forum didn't
> show up on the overall support forum front page.  It's not nice for
> people trying to get help on the latest stable release.
>
> It'd also be nice if you had to check a checkbox "Search Beta
> Discussion Forum Also?" when searching.  That's a little more
> complicated since there's probably some solutions from 1.3-alpha+ in
> the Beta Forums now that are still applicable to current 1.5-stable
> issues.  And likely, something similar will happen with the next (and
> every) iteration.  ...A new beta forum after each stable release,
> rolling each old beta forum into "Previous Betas Forum"?
>
> I suppose this is really a bbPress suggestion.
>
> Michael Adams
> mdawaffe
>
> On Feb 22, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Craig Hartel wrote:
> > Can't argue with this point, but my response is that there are so few
> > relentlessly answering questions that it is getting to be too much. As
> > well, we seem to have to take off-hand and callous remarks without
> > response otherwise we get jumped all over for taking things
> > personally. You all know that I have a thin skin--I've demonstrated
> > that many times. However, I choose to help WordPress by helping users
> > directly, since I can't code. Then we get criticized (by a very small
> > number of people) because "it's not their fault that NuclearMoose and
> > Podz live in the forums". In other words, nobody asked us to do all
> > the support, so we should just shut up and not complain about anything
> > or snap back when someone is dissing the
> > software/forum/user/documentation or what have you.
> >
> > Anyway, enough whining...again... :\
> >
> > Craig.

--Robert Deaton
http://anothersadsong.com